Generating Public/Private Keys with PuTTYgen
Use PuTTYgen to generate a public/private keypair to use to connect to either your NodeSpace Elite Hosting Account, a VPS server, or your Dedicated Server via SSH. We strongly recommend making sure that you lock down SSH and require public/private keypairs for security purposes.
- Download PuTTYgen (part of the PuTTY installer) and run it.
- When PuTTYgen loads, click on the Generate button. Ensure that SSH-2 RSA is selected and the keysize is 2048 bits.
- Move your mouse in the empty area to generate randomness for the key.
- In the top box, copy this to your authorized_keys file.
Click the Save Public Key button to save a copy of your public key. Give this key to other providers to authenticate using your private key.
Click the Save Private Key button to save your private key. Be sure to enter a passphrase so that your key cannot be used without authorization.
- Now you can connect using SSH and your keypair.